Monday, October 30, 2006

Bye...Bye...Miss American Pie

Its very unlikely that anybody hasn't heard this song by Don McLean. In fact it was voted as the number 5 song (american) of the twentieth century. I have heard it ever since I started listening to songs and music. But, never before did I really try to comprehend the meaning hidden in it. It was more like the usual and light country-rock for me. It was just another 'oldies' until today.

I dont know what came over me and I set out to discover what Don McLean wanted to convey. Especially considering the fact that he never ever gave his own version/explanation for the lyrics. This added fuel to the speculations from different peopel in different parts of the world. This link from Wikipedia was useful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pie_(song) ... but is it the actual interpretation? Is it really what McLean was trying to say?

Listen to the song one more time and let me know what you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Vinod said...

As the link states it is an epic song. I love this song. I love the melody, i love the lyrics, but the melody and lyrics together me a bit unsure for it uses, in my opinion, happy notes to convey something not that happy. May be by just doing that it is a good depiction of life. I wonder how will the song sound with some effervescent lyrics.

As far as Don's dignified silence goes, may be he was a fan of Abe Lincoln quote : )

5:58 AM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Parimal said...

Heard this song a few years back and loved it. Did some research that time to figure out what he's trying to say and it seems to match with that on wikipedia. The day the music died..

11:19 AM, November 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home