Monday, November 13, 2006

The Da Vinci Code



If I remember it right, 'The Da Vinci Code' I finished reading last week would have to be the 2nd fiction I've ever read. The first one I read was 'The Famous Five' as a 13 year old (yeah, looong time back). And I'm dazed and confused.

On seeing the movie 'The Da Vinci Code' the week it was released and not quite getting it, I decided to read the book. I was hooked for a week and hardly put it down until I finished it. It turned out to be a good read during the 5 hour flight between Columbus and Ontario CA. I thought the way Dan Brown managed to intertwine fiction over facts and put together what's allegedly one of the biggest cover up in the history of mankind was thrilling and remarkable.

In doing some research about what others think of the factual claims made by this novel regarding the Priory of Sion, my excitement withered when it seemed that this secret society might be the massive hoax created by a few Frenchmen in 1956. First, I wish I hadn’t done that research ;) thinking ignorance is bliss. And I’m left pondering which side of the story to believe into.

Well, at least I’m now starting to understand (and share) the disappointment of some of my friends in watching a movie based on their favorite book. It’s a difficult job translating the thrill of a novel into a movie a couple hours long.

I’m sure it’ll be a while before I dare pick up another fiction.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vinod said...

BraVo Bro! Few movies (that i know off) which did justice to the book are Shawshank Redemption, Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings.

Even though the saying goes, "Picture is worth a thousand words", the authors often times paint a vivid picture in ones mind through sheer word wizardry it often times becomes challenging to shrink wrap all that into a couple hour movie.

You know when Sa-Wee-Too moved in to my appt, Mrs Sa-Wee-Too came along with him to check the appartment out. While we were talking she had mentioned about Davinci Code and said it was a fascinating read. Three years have past since, I did not really get a chance to read it though. will have to add it to my list.

10:37 PM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Vinod, a certain book by this guy called Dan Brown is lying on the top-shlef of my desk. You might want to pick it up one of these days and clean up the dust from it ;-)

PGP...I guess you're right about the 'religious' twist to the novel. It definitely has raised more eyebrows than it would have had it not been based on what it is (confused? huh?).

Trivia:
The Priori of Sion was registered with the French Govt. on July 20, 1956 (does July 20 ring a bell?).

The book is very gripping indeed and the way Brown weaves his yarn, its quite amazing! On the contrary, the only good thing about the movie that I found was that I got to see the different locations/churches/buildings mentioned in the book.

2:22 PM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Parimal said...

July 20..hmm..let me think...I believe someone posting here was also registered that day in some hospital somewhere some twenty something years back ;)

10:10 PM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home